Do you want to make your own website? What if I tell you, you can create your own professional website without learning how to code? The best part is, you can make your own site for free! Sounds cool right?
You can do this by using WordPress. WordPress is a free and open-source content management system (CMS) based on PHP and MySQL. WordPress is so easy to use that even a grade school student can make a website without any knowledge of web programming languages.
First things first before creating a site, we need to think a name for it. We can do this by creating a domain. Part 1 of this tutorial is creating a domain.
What is a domain?
Domain is the name of your site. This can be .com, .net, .biz, .tk etc. at the end.
How to create a domain?
To create a domain we need to find a domain registrant. If you search “domain registrant” in Google, there are thousands of domain registrant that offers different types of domain. From domains that are free to paid domains like .com, .net, .biz.
So in our project since we are creating a site for free we need to find a domain registrant that offers free domain. I would recommend FREENOM for this. Freenom offers both free and paid domains in there site. Visit freenom.com to check the domains they are offering.
Creating a domain in Freenom
1. Visit freenom.com
2. Enter your what domain you like. Just type it on the search box on their site. For example I would like to have a domain named “blue-mug”. After that click search
3. Choose from the free domains available. You can also choose a paid domain just scroll down to see. But since we are making a free site, we will choose from the free domains they offer.
4. Select 12 months @ free so that you can have a free domain for the whole year.
5. Enter your email address or click a social media link to register.
6. After registration you can now login to your Freenom account to view your domain. When you login click Services tab and click My Services to check your domain.
Congratulations you now have your very own domain.
• If you’re going to be a full time blogger or site administrator. I do not recommend you use a free domain. Might instead buy a domain.
• Once Freenom found that you have a lot of traffic from your domain or people visiting your page, they might suspend your account.
• You can buy the cheapest .com domain for just $8.99 or P450 good for a year.
Part 2 of the tutorial we will find a web hosting so that we can access our WordPress site. CLICK HERE FOR PART 2.
You can also check the video below on how to create a domain in Freenom.